SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position provides leadership and mentoring to ensure quality bids and outstanding project execution because projects are the most important thing we do. This position also supports development and implementation of strategic and tactical initiatives. This role must ensure client satisfaction, safety, quality, and profitability in alignment with the Mission, Vision and Values of CAPE. Operations Manager must have mastered the Project Manager I / II and Project Delivery Manager positions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Mentor and develop staff to be the best in the industry.
- Support and / or lead strategic or tactical initiatives to achieve goal
- Ensure self and staff are in alignment with CAPE's culture and MVV.
- Supports achievement of Operations Leadership Team (OLT) goals and objectives
- Right staffing
- Function as a PGM for IDIQ contracts
- PROJECT SELECTION AND EXECUTION:
- Support Selection of the right projects to bid.
- Function as Operations Manager and/or Proposal Manager (PPM) on proposals
- Risk identification and mitigation
- Develop outstanding estimates
- Conducting / sharing lessons learned.
- May also function as a PM
- Tools (processes, systems, technology, etc.) are in line with or ahead of the industry
- Achieve project goals (CAPE - safety, quality, schedule, profit, CPARS, staff development; client goals; other stakeholder goals)
- Approve PSR / ETC's for each project assigned
- SALES & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT:
- Support IDIQ and task order capture
- Support achievement of Strategic Account Management goals
- Attend conferences and client visits
- Meet sales margin goals
- STRATEGIC DIRECTION:
- Support development of growth / strategic initiatives
- Support achievement goals / objectives of growth / strategic initiatives
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE AREAS
- Develop and mentor direct reports
- Understand and meet the needs of internal stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with peers in other ops groups, sales / BD group and support groups
- Identify and resolve conflict to move projects forward
- External Relationships - Clients and Partners
- Understand / meet client objectives
- Develop / maintain outstanding client relationships
- Develop / maintain outstanding relationships with key team partners
- Develop / maintain outstanding relationships with key subcontractors
- Contracts - Proficient level of skills and knowledge required
- Clearly understand differences / nuances between executing fixed price, fixed unit price and cost type contracts for the federal government
- Clearly understand our rights and client's rights with regard to every project supported
- Meet federal government Limitations on Subcontracting on each project
- Meet SBA requirements for labor on all Mentor-Protégé projects
- Risk Identification, Avoidance, Mitigation - Proficient level of skills and knowledge required
- Pre bid - go/no go stages - use experience to help select clients to pursue and projects to bid
- Bid stage - apply experience to properly address risk
- Project stage - apply experience to properly address risk
- Procurement - Proficient level of skills and knowledge required
- Expert at implementing our procurement system
- Clearly understand government procurement process for each bid / project supported
- Safety - Proficient level of skills and knowledge required
- Outstanding knowledge of our client's safety requirements
- Proficient at implementing CAPEs S&H program
- Market Awareness / Understanding
- Understand client's programs to support sales / BD / strategic planning efforts
- Proficient for areas of work that we self perform
$165K - $185K
This position is frequently on the road visiting job sites to support execution, provide training and mentoring, and supporting bids.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
BA or BS in engineering, geology, science, construction management or business (applicable field to CAPE's services).
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Twenty (20) years of experience in Construction Management, Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Chemical), or technical related field
- Ten (10) years of direct supervisory/management of personnel experience
- Experience with Primavera scheduling software is desirable
REQUIRED OUTSIDE TRAINING/CERTIFICATIONS/REGISTRATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Professional Registration is required (PE, PG, PMP, etc.)
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety & Health Training or equivalent
- USACE Construction Quality Management for Contractors Training
- Valid Driver's License with favorable MVR is maintained in order to drive on company business
ADDITIONAL SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Ability to interpret regulations and to communicate with others; read detailed blueprints and plans; establish and maintain effective working relationships with commissions and boards, state and local government agencies, contractors, builders; demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; operate computers using standard word processing, spreadsheet, as well as related project software; and understand and apply related federal, state and city regulations.
- Proficient in the use, management and administration of the information technology platforms in use at CAPE
- Work efficiently with the ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks with tight deadlines
- Analytical skills - ability to collect and research data
- Know the business, show understanding of issues relevant to the broad organization and business
- Act with integrity and commit to quality
- Demonstrate adaptability and champion change
- Strategic analysis
For 35 years, CAPE has delivered construction and environmental remediation solutions to governmental and private organizations nationwide. As a $100 M small business, we have Nationwide contracts with the USACE, USN and USAF totaling over $20 B in prime contract capacity. As a top 3 SB in our industry, our $20 B portfolio also includes unrestricted contracts where we compete against large businesses for task order awards. Most recently in the unrestricted area, CAPE won a $30 M + groundwater treatment plant construction project for the USACE in New Jersey. We routinely partner with other small and large businesses to provide better responsiveness in support of achieving our clients goals.
Our projects are high-profile environmental remediation projects involving cleanup of contaminated soil, groundwater, and sediment. The culture of our company is one of working together to achieve our clients objectives, company goals and employee's professional goals and is succinctly and accurately defined as "We, Not Me" behavior. To ensure long-term, sustainable growth, we tailor our 3-year vision to be ahead of our industry in delivering our projects, align with our clients and team partners to improve our existing market share and develop new services to support smart growth.
CAPE offers competitive benefits including Medical/Dental/Vision insurance, life insurance, Vanguard retirement savings plan including both traditional and Roth 401(k) with up to 4% match and lowest in class fees, health savings account (HSA) with investment option, flexible spending account (FSA), paid annual leave, paid maternity/paternity leave, and tuition reimbursement. CAPE also offers staff several other voluntary benefits options, as well as the option to work from home.
CAPE is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply to our open positions.